Thursday 8 November 2012

The Dark Knight Returns Returns Next Year




Last September, DC released the first part of their animated version of one of the most critically acclaimed, Batman graphic novels of all time, Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns. Part Two comes out on Blu-Ray and DVD next year on January 29th, but here are my thoughts on part one.

The Dark Knight Returns Part One sees an older, retired Bruce Wayne looking for a thrill in his life since giving up being the Batman. But when a major threat in the form of a criminal gang known as the Mutants rises and Harvey Dent, aka Two Face returns, Bruce Wayne is forced to don the cowl once more to save Gotham.

Part One was released on September 25th 2012 and do you want to know what I thought of it? As good as Christopher’s Nolan’s The Dark Knight.

You’re now probably thinking “Seriously? An animated Batman film is as good as the live action series?” And yes. It is.

The action sequences are spectacular, with one sequence involving a Batmobile turned tank, driven by the Batman as he takes on the Mutant army, being a show stopper. The animation is DC animation at its best, with scenes ripped straight from the graphic novel presented in glorious high definition. The voice cast is perfect for each of the characters they portrayed and the music and atmosphere has you gripped from start to finish. I felt nostalgic watching it as it reminded me

And then it finishes. My rant for this film is that it was too short, with its total run time at 77 minutes. DC is taking part in the recent trend of movie releases by releasing this animated feature in parts rather than one, whole release. I hate films that do this as they use the lie that they are doing this to tell the story in its entirety. But in reality, it is to rake in as much money as possible. Films such as Twilight Breaking Dawn are major culprits of doing this. But then again, I feel sorry for the people that pay to see any of the Twilight films.

I would have preferred to have Batman: The Dark Knight Returns as a singular release, instead of having to wait for the second 74 minute part. And I cannot wait!

I recommend Batman: The Dark Knight Returns to any Batfan and to anyone who has seen Christopher Nolan’s Batman Trilogy. You will not be disappointed.

I’m a nerd, and this was my rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment